Friday, August 24, 2012

What do I typically eat?

I get asked a lot about what I eat. So I'll tell you. 


First, I'll start off by saying that I practice something called intermittent fasting. 

This means my last meal is somewhere between 6-8pm and then I won't eat again until somewhere between 11 am -1pm the next day. I find that I usually go about 16 hours without food.

Maybe some of you already do this naturally with your schedule. 
Some of you might say - what?!? No breakfast ? 

No, no breakfast. I have to get 2 kids out the door in the morning. And I teach fitness classes most mornings, and I do not like to work out on a full stomach.

There is also new evidence showing that breakfast is NOT the most important meal of the day.
This also keeps me from snacking all night long.

I find that I look forward to my meals, and I actually eat a meal! I'm famous for being a grazer and would eat all day and all night long- 12 or 13 times a day. It was annoying, I was always hungry.  I always had to pack snacks with me everywhere I went. I would snack on anything and everything I wanted. With the IF I am much more disciplined and feed my body much healthier foods.

Do I eat healthy all the time ? No, of course not! I have my days, sometimes even weeks where I am completely off track. 

But what I typically eat for my first meal is either chicken or eggs, some cheese, a green juice ( kale, spinach, oj, pineapple and  vanilla protein powder) and a piece of peanut butter toast or I dip pretzels in peanut butter. 
I will have a smoothie for a snack: rice milk, banana, cocoa powder, peanut butter, spinach and avocado, with some oatmeal. Sounds gross, but it is actually quite good. I might also eat some fruit with this. If I do not have the smoothie I'll have an oatmeal pancake: oatmeal, banana, peanut butter, egg and cinnamon. I top it with 100% maple syrup. Have you noticed I eat a lot of peanut butter? Love the stuff! 
Dinner is some kind of meat: beef, chicken, sausage, eggs, tuna or some other kind if fish with lots of veggies often with rice. I'll also have some fruit.

I ALWAYS have 1-2 pieces of dark chocolate after my meals. And my meals are quite large! They are no measley meals. I also love bacon and eat it 1-2  a week. Yum! It's organic with no nitrates and it's delicious.

Now I practice IF anywhere from 4-7 days a week. And I did not start this as a way to lose weight. I do not need to lose weight, but I was tired of my eating habits. I wanted a better way to eat, and so far this is working better for me. 

Notice I do NOT eat low fat, or low calorie, not even low carb, but I do not eat a lot of starchy carbs. When I decide to cheat, I will often load up on starchy carbs, sweets, and even more bacon. :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment