Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What is happening to our waistlines?

OK, so I am at fault here too - I completely overindulged and the THREE different cook outs I went to over the 4th of July weekend. But I guess the difference is I do not make it a habit to eat like this every day.

In our society today, many of us do. Over 65% of the American population is obese! That percentage is steadily growing, and it is growing even faster among children. What a sad fact.

I was at the beach with my 2.5 year old daughter over the weekend and could NOT believe my eyes. I saw more overweight kids than thin ones. And some of these kids were big - and I mean BIG. Not to mention they were all under the age of 8. This is child abuse in my opinion.

It is one thing if you are an adult and you are responsible for your own actions. You want to stuff your face - go right ahead. However, to allow it to happen to your children is another thing. Now I know how hard it is. My daughter goes to Gramma's and gets goodies and then comes home and wants cookies for dinner. Oh, Gramma!
Do I allow it? No, of course not.

I DO allow my child to eat junk food here and there - hey it is part of being a kid. I do not allow it to be a regular part of her diet. She does not have to like it. That's called parenting!

Did you know that this is the first generation of children that are expected to be outlived by their own parents?!?! Dumbfounding - isn't it?

Get this - our digestive system has undergone very little change over the past several thousand years, yet our diet has changed so rapidly that some think our stomachs are unable to keep pace with it. And therein lies the root of many modern-day nutrition and diet related issues.

Just think about it - did our grandparents' daily diet include a double cheese burger with a large soda and fries thrown in for good measure? Did they drink cups after cups of coffee to bust stress? Were they inundated with canned and processed food choices at the local supermarkets? Did they go days without having fruits and vegetables in their meals? We, on the other hand, routinely indulge in these unhealthy food habits.

As the saying goes - you are what you eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment