Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Get out of your comfort zone

If you want to make improvements in your workouts and hence in your body you need to get out of your comfort zone. I see some of you in my classes doing the same exercises with the same weight or at the same speed. The only way you're going to get better at what you are doing and change your body is if you CHANGE what you are doing. You cannot keep doing the same thing and expect change to happen.

Now I know picking up a heavier weight can be intimidating! For example I was literally petrified to use a heavier kettlebell to practice a Turkish Get Up. But I just did it. I was not successful the first few times. This can be humbling and maybe something you do not want to experience in front of a class, but trust me - no one notices what you are doing as they are concentrating on themselves. So pick up the heavier weight - ask for help if you need it - and do not be afraid to fail. Keep at it and you WILL do it.

I've gotten stronger at my own Turkish Get Ups, and now am at a stand still. Time for me to get out of my own comfort zone again.

This kind of training will keep you from plateauing. It will keep your body changing, getting stronger and leaner. I am assuming that it what you want? A stronger, leaner body? Are you going to get it by keep on doing the exact same thing you are doing now? Nope. Wish it was that easy.

Even if you are not quite ready for the heavier weight, try to go faster. Pick up the pace for a while, and when you get proficient at that, then give the heavier one a go.

You need to lift heavy enough weights or Kettlebells (or perform at enough speed or do enough reps) to get a favorable hormonal response to change your muscles. NO - I do not mean BULK your muscles, I mean change them. We're all at the gym to get better muscles - whether that's tighter or bigger, that is what we are there for.
Lastly, getting out of your comfort zone can be invigorating, empowering and even addicting!

No comments:

Post a Comment