Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How Fit Are You?

I often think of myself as being in shape and then see someone else who can run circles around my workouts, and think - gee, how fit am I really?
Well, this all depends on your definition of fitness. We can compare ourselves to dozens of others, but I am not sure that helps anything.
I have a friend who I have known since I was a child, and she is a runner. She thinks she is in tip top shape. However, I am not convinced. Sure, she can run forever, but she cannot do a single push up and cannot touch her toes. How fit is she really?
I find running boring (sorry - not to offend anyone who is a runner) and therefore would struggle running even one mile, but I can do lots of push ups, pull ups, and can certainly touch my toes. So how fit am I if I cannot run? Hmmmm.......
I once read that the true definition of fitness is how well can you can MOVE your body. Can you run fast (not long), can you jump high? can you pull yourself up? can you hold your own body weight? can you lunge, climb and have the flexibility to do it all well?

I have always been amazed at how seasoned yogis are in such incredible shape. They are often able to do push ups and pull ups because they are used to supporting their own body weight. Believe it or not - their resting heart rates are also that of runners because of the breath practice incorporated into yoga.

And you may have seen one of my older articles that showed the following results from seasoned Kettlbellers as well!
After 3 years of regular practice, two groups of college students were tested in the following:
pull ups, long jump, 50 yard sprint, 600 yard sprint. One group practiced all of the listed exercises, the other group practiced Kettlebells. Despite the fact that the Kettlebell group never practices the exercises, they still outperformed the group who did!

Just goes to show you what yoga and Kettlebells can do for you. :)

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about the false fitness of avid runners and your definition of what fitness really is. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fit are you? OMG, in about 5 seconds of working out with you, it's a no-brainer to determine - you are very fit, girl!

    Please say hi to Beth for me. I am pregnant and had to do a couple of weeks of bed-rest right before my SF membership ran out. So I didn't get a chance to say goodbye.

    Huge thank you to you and Beth for teaching me Kettlebells. It has changed my workouts forever.

    Thanks,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I go for perfection, does this mean that I am not happy and please with who I am? And if perfection is what I pursue, does it mean that this will be my constant state, trying to please myself or others?
    Could it be that happiness is what we all after? And if this happiness is unconditional, won’t we then be boundless?

    ReplyDelete