Friday, January 14, 2011

Does Getting More Fiber Help With Weight Loss?

Here is some great info I found online. If your New Years Resolution is to lose weight or simply e healthier, here are some great tips.

If you cut your sugar consumption...and add to that the amount of fiber you should be taking in, you'd really be doing your body a huge favor.

Fiber fights fat, by slowing down the absorption of sugar into your
body...and it helps to cleanse the waste, generated by an overloaded
digestive system. If you don't get enough fiber, on a regular basis,
you are increasing the risk of heart disease, diabetes and certain
forms of cancer.

How much fiber is enough? The American Heart Association says you
should get 25 to 30 grams of fiber per day. That may be enough for
some and not enough for others. Remember that these folks who give
recommendations are almost always undershooting what really works.

There is another way to measure the correct level of fiber and that
is by how many times you visit the bathroom, during in an average
day (24 hours). On average, for most people, it should be twice. If
it's more than that...it's okay. But unfortunately, these people are few and far between.

You should try and get your fiber through food rather than powders,
though they will do, in a pinch. (I don't recommend them as long
term solutions).

Fiber rich foods also make you feel fuller for a longer time, all
while slowing the digestion of food, so insulin is released more
slowly and won't add as much fat to your fat cells. If you combine
increased fiber intake with drinking 80 ounces of water a day, you
should have your system rolling like an express train.

So now, you have three simple things to help lose the lard.

1) Cut your sugar intake
2) Increase your fiber intake
3) Drink 80 ounces of water a day

There you go! Doesn't sound too hard - does it? I love my sweets so cutting down my sugar intake is my number one goal. Right now as I am recovering from child birth and my mom is here to help out. She has been cooking all sorts of goodies! God love the woman, but the Italian in her is always trying to feed me - pasta, cookies, cake, french toast, ice cream, and more pasta! LOL. I guess I'll enjoy it for now, rest up, and get back on the wagon as my body heals.
Now for the rest of you - no excuses! :)

1 comment:

  1. Got it.... thanks!!! I definitely don't drink enough water but I will now!

    ReplyDelete