Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Fall Flavor Recipe

Fall flavors have always been some of my favorite: apples, pumpkin, figs, and I LOVE cider! Figs are in season right now and I love those too. I wanted a recipe with some protein, some greens and figs. And here is what I found.

Brussel Sprouts with Crispy Turkey Bacon, Black Mission Figs and Balsamic Vinegar

12 oz. brussel sprouts
4 slices nitrate/nitrite free turkey bacon (prefer Niman Ranch, can be found at Trader Joe’s)
1 cup chopped dried black mission figs (can also get a Trader Joe's)
Balsamic vinegar

Slice bacon into small pieces and add to pan on medium heat. Cook until just crispy. Meanwhile, chop brussel sprouts into flat rounds, about 4 per brussel sprout. Add chopped brussel sprouts to bacon and sauté for 6-8 minutes. Add chopped figs and cook for another 4 minutes until brussel sprouts are cooked through and slightly browned. Remove pan from heat and place onto plate or into bowl. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Now enjoy the crunchy, salty and smoky, sweet, tangy deliciousness of this dish.

I have a tendency to cook more in the cooler months, so I plan on keeping the recipes coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment