Sunday, June 6, 2010

Should you buy organic?

You can google this and find arguments on either side. Yes, organic is expensive. I buy a special wash to wash my fruits and veggies with if I can’t buy organic all the time. Anything with a skin – like bananas, oranges, pineapple, etc, I am not as fussy about. But things like strawberries, spinach, and the like I buy organic. It has no skin and the pesticides in non-organic are in there even if you wash it.

Did any of you see the Toxic America report on CNN last week? If not, check out the link here. (Thanks to Beth for sending it to me)!
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/06/01/dirty.dozen.produce.pesticide/index.html

When it comes to meat or fish you BET I buy organic. I think you are outright CRAZY if you do not buy organic in this case. All the growth hormones, injections, enzymes, etc given to animals you eat with every bite. Yes, again, organic is more expensive. Pay for it now, or later in medical bills. Your choice.
Now of course this is my opinion. Take it or leave it.
One of the theories out there in the medical field as to why kids are hitting puberty at earlier and earlier ages is because of all the extra hormones given to animals to make them bigger and produce more. YUK!
Do you know how much milk most farms get cows to make in a year versus how much they are naturally supposed to make? And do you know how they increase this? With vast amounts of estrogen. Animals are also given growth hormone so they can get more slabs of meat from each. Am I grossing you out yet?

Well here are a couple of yummy recipes to take your mind off of it.


Another Healthy Pancake recipe

1 small banana
1 egg
1 TB Almond butter
Cinnamon to taste (optional)

Mash banana in a bowl, mix in egg, almond butter and cinnamon. Put in skillet and brown on both sides.
I use 100% maple syrup, but you can use apple butter, applesauce, honey, etc.

I for one do not like to slave over a hot stove during the summer months, but get so sick of salads! Here is a good one:

Apple Slaw Salad

3 c. shredded cabbage
2 lg. Rome or Granny Smith apples, thinly sliced
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1/3 c. diced celery
1/3 c. raisins

Mix all together, then add dressing. You can choose your own dressing, but I take a 1/2 cup greek yogurt, pinch of sea salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 TB apple cider vinegar and mix together. I then add it to my apple slaw.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment