Thursday, June 17, 2010

Don't Give Up!

One of my pet peeves is when I see people giving up during a workout. Now I do NOT mean that you should not take a break when you need it. Certainly you should. Absolutely you should.

I also know there is a certain amount of confidence that needs to be built up when working out. I know that there are differing degrees of fitness levels. You do need to workout a little above your fitness level to improve. Not a lot – pushing yourself too hard can be worse than wimping out. Injuries will leave you unable to workout at all.

I am talking about the people who complain, who say I can’t, I won’t, not again; those who never do more reps, who never try a heavier weight, you refuse to squat or lunge, or who won’t just try one push up off their knees, or who always give up during a hard yoga pose.
They complain, whine, moan, - my knee hurts, my back hurts, my wrist hurts, on and on. Excuses, excuses! Maybe those joints all hurt because they are so stiff from not being used! Again, not to belittle anyone who has an injury. I have been injured in the past and it is not fun.

When I teach fitness classes and I’ll announce at the end of a round – 5 or 10 seconds left – or in yoga I’ll say 3 breaths left – and I see people stop. Huh? This is when your body is being pushed the most and makes the most changes. Do not cheat yourself out of a better workout.

I am assuming you are at the class to get a better body. It is not going to get better by doing what you have always done – you’ll only get what you’ve always got. There is the word WORK in working out after all.

Think about this, if you were in a wheelchair you would do anything, anything at all to try one more rep, run, jump, squat, lunge, lift, hold, etc, etc. Think about that. If you can, why wouldn’t you? Every time I think I can’t, I think of someone in a wheelchair, and say – I most certainly CAN – even if it is just a little.

Use it or lose it and the expression goes. Life throws us curveballs all the time. Take care of your body. Don’t be afraid of it. It is yours. Be proud of it.
Don’t give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment